Going green at work starts with making informed purchases and spending in line with your environmental values. By doing business with sustainable companies and prioritising environmentally-focused IT equipment, individual companies can really move the needle on climate change.
The University of Queensland recommends this multi-step checklist when shoring up your purchasing options for sustainable electronics.
- Evaluate the sustainability of potential purchases through the EPEAT (Electronic Product Environmental Assessment Tool) system.
- Choose products that are ENERGY STAR designated.
- Check that equipment complies with the International Labour Organisation (ILO) core framework.
- Purchase from companies who use recycled materials in their electronics and packaging.
- Extend preference to sellers who offer end-of-life take backs.